The Funeral Rule is a ruling by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) that gives you, the consumer, certain rights when it comes to funeral arrangements.
You can view details of the rule on the FTC’s website or watch the video below, but here are the key points.
When dealing with funeral homes, The Funeral Rule gives you the right to:
- Provide the funeral home with a casket or urn you buy elsewhere.
- Buy only the funeral arrangements you want.
- Get price information on the telephone.
- Get a written, itemized price list when you visit a funeral home.
- See a written casket price list before you see the actual caskets.
- See a written outer burial container price list.
- Receive a written statement after you decide what you want, and before you pay.
- Get an explanation in the written statement from the funeral home that describes any legal cemetary or crematory requirement that requires you to buy any funeral goods or services.
- Use an “alternative container” instead of a casket for cremation.
- Make funeral arrangements without embalming.